Land For Good seeks Maine-based Field Agent
Are you passionate about working farmland, food systems and collaboration? Be our new Maine Field Agent. This is a unique opportunity to work on the critical issue of access and transfer of farms and farmland in Maine—and across New England.
Land For Good is a regional leader—and a recognized national leader—on issues of farmland access, land tenure security and farm transfer and succession. Since 2004, Land For Good has been working to put more farmers more securely on land in New England, to support farm viability, increase farming opportunity, and keep land in farming.
LFG Field Agents educate, advise and support farmers, landowners, farm service providers and communities. They especially focus on providing technical assistance to farm seekers to acquire farms and improve land tenure security; to transitioning farmers on farm succession and transfer planning; and to non-farming landowners (individuals and institutions) who want to make land available for farming.
Field Agents network and collaborate with other educators and advisors in their state to enhance programming, build professional capacity and represent LFG in state and regional policy/advocacy. Field agents also participate in organization-wide program development, such as developing training curriculum and educational materials. Field Agents work closely with partners in their state and as an integral part ofLFG’s fully-remote team based across New England. Joining our team includes training, mentoring and support.
Land For Good strives for a society grounded in the principles of social and economic justice. We seek to achieve excellence through a diverse and inclusive workplace that honors the unique talents and lived experiences of each person. Our vision and values are reflected in our employment-related decisions, including hiring practices. Accordingly, Land For Good actively seeks people who bring diverse backgrounds, life experiences and perspectives to join us in our work.
We will work with the right candidate who is energized about our work. Joining our team includes training, mentoring and support. Land For Good works proactively to integrate issues of equity and justice in our work.
- Consult with individual, family, organization and government clients: facilitate clients’ planning processes; organize, coordinate and/or support teams to work with clients; write reports; develop and coordinate materials including maps and documents. Provide information and referrals.
- Adhere to LFG customer relationship management (CRM) systems and other intake, customer service and data management and reporting procedures and protocols.
- Develop and provide educational programming: organize and deliver workshops, presentations and meetings to target audiences. Help produce LFG educational materials.
- Help develop, foster and participate in state networks including state advisory groups, professional training, events, workgroups, and local and regional initiatives.
- Conduct outreach about LFG programs and services: identify promotional opportunities; distribute LFG materials; represent LFG in meetings and events; recruit clients. Support program-related marketing, market research and outreach strategy in their state.
- Initiate, manage or participate in educational, planning and other projects including community-based initiatives, research, and advocacy.
- Participate in staff professional development and organizational strategy, including planning, meetings and other activities.
- Assist with fund development: participate in grant prospecting, proposal development, donor cultivation, and other fundraising efforts as needed.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills. Ability to engage with people; convene and manage groups and utilize coaching and facilitation skills in a variety of settings.
- Experience and skills in constituent service and client relationships.
- Working knowledge of and/or strong interest in farming, farm businesses, farmland access, tenure and transfer/succession issues, particularly as they apply to the state in which they will be working.
- Self-directed, well-organized; capable of developing and implementing an annual work plan.
- Good public speaking skills.
- Proficient in Google apps/platform and MS Office Suite (Word, Powerpoint, Excel) and ; comfortable with cloud-based document sharing and collaboration programs. Ability to adopt CRM platforms. Additional computer skills are a plus.
- Formal or informal education in agriculture, land planning or related fields is highly desirable.
- Experience with the not-for-profit sector, and familiarity with the state in which they will be working are important.
This is an hourly position, budgeted for a minimum of 16 hours per week annually. Wages are $18-22/hour depending on qualifications. Compensation includes prorated paid time off and employer contributions to a SIMPLE IRA. All direct work-related expenses are reimbursed. We actively support professional development.
This position is remote and requires a home office with a reliable internet connection. Candidates must be located in Maine. Access to a car for Maine and occasional regional travel is required.
Work schedule is flexible; performed typically over two or three regularly scheduled days per week. Some evening and weekend work will be required.
Please use our online Application Form to submit your resume.
If you are having challenges with this form, please reach out to email@example.com with the email subject: “Maine Field Agent application”.
Review of applications will begin April 1. The position will remain open until filled.
We have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people do their best work to ensure the future of farming and food systems. Our organization runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative team – staff, board, consultants and partners. Our vision and values are reflected in our employment-related decisions, including hiring practices. LFG actively encourages people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We remain committed to carrying our mission forward while taking necessary health and safety precautions to protect our team and the communities in which we live. We continue to monitor and adhere to all applicable guidelines.