Your gift today will help us help more farmers like Chris.
Managing a working farm is incredibly hard work. Transferring that farm when the time is right can be even more difficult. Farm transfer is a complex process that takes patience, support and expert guidance—just ask Chris Hopkins of Stone Wall Dairy Farm, Cornwall CT.
I knew I was getting burnt out. I also knew I needed to recognize the things I couldn’t do on my own and ask for help,” shared Chris.
Chris Hopkins managed Stone Wall Dairy Farm in Connecticut for 12 years until last fall. Having reached his 10-year goals for the farm—stabilizing the building and barns, diversifying to include organic eggs and vegetables, and establishing a marketing plan through a farm stand in a high-traffic area—he made the tough decision to start planning the transfer of his organic dairy farm in 2015.
After meeting all his personal goals for Stone Wall Dairy, he had one objective left: for the well-established farm to remain in dairy as a valuable resource for the Cornwall CT community. But Chris was too busy to handle the extensive details of the transfer alone.
That’s when Chris turned to Land For Good (LFG) for assistance in his complex transfer plan. In Chris’ case, this included recruiting a successor. It took three years of hard work and support to make a successful transfer of Stone Wall Dairy Farm. The transfer was completed in November, 2018.
It was clear that Land For Good truly cared. They knew what kind of help I needed, and they were a stabilizing force. That felt good,” shared Chris.
Thanks to people like you, a diversified dairy farm that’s a fixture in the community will continue to thrive, providing opportunity for another generation of farmers.
Our work, however, is not done. More transitioning farmers, farm seekers and farmland owners need help to keep farms alive.
Your every gift helps sustain farms, farmland, and farming across New England! We applaud your support of keeping farming a vital and vibrant part of our communities.
Together we work toward a future with MORE farming, healthier lands, and a more secure food supply.
Please join with us and donate now.
*Photo credit: Scott Tully
We all have a stake in working farms. Since 2004, Land For Good has helped hundreds of farmers access farmland while thousands of acres of land have remained in active farming. Entire communities benefit from increased farming opportunity, healthy lands, and a more secure food supply. Food security depends on farmer security. And farmer security requires land security.
When you join with us to tackle farmland access and transfer, you’re making a critical investment in local farming, rural communities, working landscapes, and our regional food system. Your support helps us directly assist thousands of farmers, farm families, landowners and communities every year. At the same time we work to change the wider system by educating and connecting other professionals, collaborating across sectors and geographies, conducting policy research and advocacy. Only then will we generate wider access and control over farmland that farmers need grow farming opportunity, and contribute to land stewardship and food security in our region.
If you believe that farming and land stewardship are vital to New England’s future, then join with us. As a not-for-profit charitable organization supported by grants, donations and fees, we rely on supporters like you to get more farmers on more land – and keep land in farming.
Please give what you can. Every donation counts.
How to give
- Online: Use the Donate button above to make a secure, online donation via MightyCause. Make a one-time gift or become a subscribing donor by setting-up automatic, recurring donations.
- Mail: Mail your check (payable to “Land For Good”) to PO Box 625, Keene NH 03431. To provide additional instructions or pay by credit card, please download, print and mail your completed Donation Form.
- Phone: If you have questions or would like to donate by credit card, call us at 603.357.1600. If you reach our voice mail, please leave a message and phone number so that we can call you back to process your donation securely, or to answer any questions.
- Matching gifts: Does your company have a matching gifts program? Many do so check out how you can increase the impact of your gift with the help of your employer. Contact your employer for a matching gift form and mail the completed form to us along with your donation.
- Named gift: Celebrate a birthday, promotion at work or special accomplishment by making a named gift in someone’s honor! A donation can be used to congratulate or honor special events or people in your life. We will notify the honored person with a card and your good wishes. Download our Donation Form and mail it in.
- Land For Good is a tax-exempt, charitable organization under IRS Code Section 501(c)(3). Our tax ID number is 02-0530711 and your gifts are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law. Get our most recent federal tax filing (2018 IRS Form 990)
- Our work is regularly reviewed, assessed and required to document that we meet the highest standards of public and fiscal accountability, and program cost-effectiveness. Download our most recent independent Financial Review (2018).
- Land For Good is proud to have a GuideStar Platinum Non-profit Profile. A GuideStar Seal of Transparency indicates that a nonprofit has provided key, up-to-date information in its profile to allow potential donors and funders to make educated decisions about the work they do to make the world a better place. We are proud to share our key metrics with the world and highlight the changes we’re making. We want to give donors and funders an alternative to simplistic financial ratios to evaluate us. Check out our GuideStar profile, where you can also access our recent federal tax filings and financial reviews.
We value your support – and use it wisely to maximize its impact.