Your gift today will let us help more farmers like John & Beth.
Your support is critical to our ongoing work to keep farmland in farming. The challenges of the pandemic continue to pose threats to local farmland. Across New England, there is increased development pressure, greater barriers facing beginning farmers, and challenges for retiring farmers to pass on their farms.
For retiring farmers, a farm transfer can take months, even years, to plan and complete. At no point is a farm’s future more at risk than during this transition. We help guide farmers through this transition with goal setting and succession planning. Often this includes identifying a farm successor who shares their goals and values. The transfer of John and Beth Haynes’ organic dairy farm took nearly seven years.
John and Beth have owned Haynes Dairy Farm located on Moody Hill in Claremont NH since 1981 when they purchased the farm from John’s parents. The farm has been in the family for 3 generations. As John and Beth prepared to retire, they realized that to keep the farm in agriculture they needed to take on the added step of identifying a successor to take over the farm. In 2013, they reached out to Land For Good.
John and Beth started working with Mike Ghia, one of our field agents, who has decades of experience working on farm business planning issues. Mike also coaches beginning farmers on farm and tenure issues and, as a trained mediator, assists farmers with both inter-generational and non-family transfers.
“John and Beth wanted to see their farm continue in the hands of the right successor,” shared Mike. “Rather than waiting until age or health forced them to put the farm on the market, they wanted to be more deliberate and pursue transferring the farm as a turnkey business to a new farmer.”
Haynes Dairy Farm is one of many farms that we work with every day; farms that are committed to sustaining and growing New England’s agricultural and food system far into the future. Read their story.
Thanks to Land For Good’s support, and John and Beth’s careful planning, a local dairy farm will continue to thrive and provide for the community.
But we can’t do this work without you. A historic transfer of farms is underway in our region and nationally. Our region’s food security depends on the land security of our farmers. We must keep farmers on the land and expand opportunities for farming. Saving and supporting farms is key to rebuilding and strengthening our food system.
Please join with us and donate now.
We all have a stake in working farms. Since 2004, Land For Good has helped hundreds of farmers access farmland while thousands of acres of land have remained in active farming. Entire communities benefit from increased farming opportunity, healthy lands, and a more secure food supply. Food security depends on farmer security. And farmer security requires land security.
When you join with us to tackle farmland access and transfer, you’re making a critical investment in local farming, rural communities, working landscapes, and our regional food system. Your support helps us directly assist thousands of farmers, farm families, landowners and communities every year. At the same time we work to change the wider system by educating and connecting other professionals, collaborating across sectors and geographies, conducting policy research and advocacy. Only then will we generate wider access and control over farmland that farmers need grow farming opportunity, and contribute to land stewardship and food security in our region.
If you believe that farming and land stewardship are vital to New England’s future, then join with us. As a not-for-profit charitable organization supported by grants, donations and fees, we rely on supporters like you to get more farmers on more land – and keep land in farming.
Please give what you can. Every donation counts.
How to give
- Online: Donate now via MightyCause. Make a one-time gift or become a subscribing donor by setting-up automatic, recurring donations.
- Mail: Mail your check (payable to “Land For Good”) to PO Box 625, Keene NH 03431. To provide additional instructions or pay by credit card, please download, print and mail your completed Donation Form.
- Phone: If you have questions or would like to donate by credit card, call us at 603.357.1600. If you reach our voice mail, please leave a message and phone number so that we can call you back to process your donation securely, or to answer any questions.
- Matching gifts: Does your company have a matching gifts program? Many do so check out how you can increase the impact of your gift with the help of your employer. Contact your employer for a matching gift form and mail the completed form to us along with your donation.
- Named gift: Celebrate a birthday, promotion at work or special accomplishment by making a named gift in someone’s honor! A donation can be used to congratulate or honor special events or people in your life. We will notify the honored person with a card and your good wishes. Download our Donation Form and mail it in.
- Land For Good is a tax-exempt, charitable organization under IRS Code Section 501(c)(3). Our tax ID number is 02-0530711 and your gifts are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law. Get our most recent federal tax filing (2020)
- Our work is regularly reviewed, assessed and required to document that we meet the highest standards of public and fiscal accountability, and program cost-effectiveness. Download our most recent independent, annual Financial Review (2020)
- Land For Good is proud to have a GuideStar Platinum Non-profit Profile. A GuideStar Seal of Transparency indicates that a nonprofit has provided key, up-to-date information in its profile to allow potential donors and funders to make educated decisions about the work they do to make the world a better place. We are proud to share our key metrics with the world and highlight the changes we’re making. We want to give donors and funders an alternative to simplistic financial ratios to evaluate us. Check out our GuideStar profile, where you can also access our recent federal tax filings and financial reviews.
We value your support!