If you’re a new or beginning farmer, leasing farmland may be an effective way to overcome one of your biggest challenges to getting on the land. Leases can offer affordable, flexible and secure access to farms, land, and buildings. If you’re a landowner who wants to make land available for farming, leasing land with a well-planned approach can be a “win-win” for you, your land and your community.
This Toolbox contains materials most relevant to farming and farms in New England. It includes practical articles about what’s in a lease, types of leases, what to look for in a lease and how to negotiate a good lease. You’ll also find “thought pieces” that address the interests of the community in long-term farm leases, and landlord-tenant relations.
For farm seekers
- New England Farm Leasing Tutorial
- Farmland Tenure and Leasing, A Legal Guide to the Business of Farming Chapter 3, UVM Center for Sustainable Agriculture*
- A Landowners Guide to Leasing Land for Farming
- Leasing Land to Farmers: A Handbook for New England Land Trusts, Municipalities, and Institutions
- Farmland Leasing for Private Landowners: A Short Guide
- The Landowners Guide to Sustainable Farm Leases, Sustainable Agricultural Land Tenure Initiative, Drake University Agricultural Law Center
- Elements of a Good Farm Lease, a comprehensive list of important items to consider
- New!How to Determine the Right Farm Rental Rate, UVM Extension New Farmer Project
- A Lease Agreements Guide for Farmers and Landowners, Vermont Land Link*
- Farm Rental Agreement Checklist, Ohio State University Extension*
- Managing Landlord-Tenant Relationships: A Strategic Perspective, Ohio State University Extension*
- Farm Leases and Rents in Family Farm Series Publications: Farm Management, UC Davis Cooperative Extension*
- AgLease101.org. Resources for Midwestern states but widely applicable.
- Short-term Lease Agreement sample
- Multi-year Lease sample
- Long-term Lease on Public Land sample
- Share Lease Agreement sample (AgLease101.org)
- Model Agriculture Ground Lease sample (EquityTrust.org)
Land Tenure in the Northeast
- Holding Ground: A Guide to Northeast Farmland Tenure and Stewardship. Purchase from the New England Small Farm Institute.
- A New Lease on Farmland: Assuring a Future for Farming in the Northeast, New Economics Institute